Dear Innercity Intercessors,
- A lot happens this month - Spring arrives — at least officially on the Calendar (the weather can still be awful).
- Green beer! So many people become Irish for a day. Some may even know the origins of this celebration
- Patrick's work in the 5th Century to convert the Irish to Christianity.
- March break! For students and parents of students, this time away from books and school schedules can mean a time to reconnect — somewhere warm maybe?
- Birthdays! In my family, there are many birthdays (and I mean many!) across 3 generations, so... lots of cake and far too many candles (at least in my case).
- Lent! For those who observe, March is a time for fasting, reflection and atonement.
On the streets, our outreach teams are noticing subtle changes. Prayer requests are beginning to shift towards day-to-day needs and away from desperation over cold, shelter, the heartache of loneliness, and from physical aches, pains and illnesses linked to the weather. There are sometimes now prayers of gratitude for God's protection over the winter, for sufficient food most days, for the glimpses of connections that build self-worth.
That gratitude was expressed beautifully at our recent Special meal. For the first time since COVID struck, staff and volunteers were able to offer the choice of either a sit-down dinner or take-out. One of our Friends, now full from his hot turkey lunch and homemade dessert, went out of his way to express his thanks. "l am so very, very grateful for the lovely meal. Thank you," He paused for a bit and then continued, "There is only one thing I am more grateful for." ln response to my question about what that might be, he did not speak. He simply pointed heavenward.
May we all point heavenward and praise Him for His love. As always, thank you for your prayers and support. Just as you pray on our behalf for all of those in need, we pray for God's blessing over you and your life circumstances.
391 Gladstone Ave. Ottawa. ON K2P 0Y9
(613)237-6031 • firstname.lastname@example.org • www.ottawainnercityministries.ca